Everything I’m wearing today is vintage!
If you’ve been reading my blog or watching my Youtube videos or probably just looking at my OOTDs, mostly everything I wear, buy, and lust over is vintage. I can’t pinpoint what exactly got me into thrifting and buying second-hand, but I know a heavy influence was my phase of obsessing over ’50s poodle skirts and mary jane shoes when I was about 13. Oh, the trends we love when we’re 13…
A bigger influence was when my great aunt used to give me her old quirky clothes from her school teaching days back in the 70s. Her style was quite liberal and hippie with a touch of mod and class. She gave me 3 of her jackets: a bright yellow mod jacket from the 60s, a classic trench coat from the 70s, and a suede lilac windbreaker from the 80s. And I guess that’s where I can pinpoint my love of vintage….
Whether it be hand me downs from my great aunt or my mom or finding a piece in the thrift store, shopping vintage has shaped my style and who I am today! Here are some amazing benefits of shopping vintage.
01. Your personal style will be easier to find and easier to portray.
02. Nobody will be wearing the same thing as you (as a fashion blogger, this is my favorite and it separates me a little bit from the rest!)
03. You save sooo much money.
04. Your clothes have backstories and memories.
05. You develop good money saving skills and bargain hunting skills.
06. You make your mom proud when she sees you wearing her high waisted shorts from when she was your age!
07. It’s shopping therapy to the max, especially when you find some hidden treasures.
08. Most vintage clothing is much better quality than how they make clothing now.
09. You are taking a huge part in environmental conservation by recycling/rewearing!
10. You can get super creative in DIYing or learning to sew and reworking your clothing.
11. Typically, most thrift stores are apart of a charity so you’re also apart of charity work!
Do you thrift/shop vintage? What’s your favorite vintage item that you’ve found?